Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Old School Art

So this is a piece I did a while back for my former employer Stuph Clothing. As a matter of fact I do a lot of work for them, and have done a lot for them in the past. Ergo..... this won't be the last post with art done for them. They're a great company with some amazing artists. They've also recouped pretty well after suffering the loss of such an amazing artist such as myself ;) Anyway, it was for one of their preprint T-Shirt lines which you can see here. The goal here was to achieve a trendy design that a teenage girl would want to wear. I tried the approach of actually painting the majority of the design as opposed to the usual photoshop or illustrator work. I wanted it to have a more natural free flowing feel. And to me that’s a style easier to pull off in the traditional way with paint and brushes. Designs all done in the computer can have a very synthetic and symmetrical feel. Every now and then it's nice to do something the old fashioned way and resist the urge to rely on the computers tool sets. Although I'm still reasonably happy with this piece, its an area I would like to explore further in the future.

No comments: