Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Rotoscope Technique

For these illustrations I was asked to showcase people modeling apparel. But it was to be done in an artistic manner. (as opposed to some photos of people standing there) It was a challenge because I was going for a very realistic yet highly stylized look. If you've seen the Movie "A Scanner Darkly" or are at all familiar with the animation term of rotoscoping. Well then you know the look I wanted. I did some research online to find a tutorial on how this might be achieved. There are a lot out there but none that I would say is the definitive way of doing it. In the end I used a combination of techniques. Some borrowed, some made up. Starting with an inked line art version, and then using the photo as a basis for the colors. Throw in a bunch of hours in photoshop and what you see below are the results. Note that the beautiful girl in the white visor is my wife and the guy hiding in the hoodie trying to look cool is me. The rest belong to google's image search :) Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tight work (the one of you kills). The technique is cool and your twist is what puts it over the top. Gives me some ideas...